My Dad's Leukemia

 
**Disclaimer. All of the below contains information as I know it. It may not all be accurate as I am a second source and often things get lost in the translation, as sometimes happens in my family. I will try to correct any errors as need be.

About 6 years ago, in 2006, my Dad was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. At first I didn't know it was Cancer (yes, I do have my blonde moments and did not realize that leukemia was cancer- I thought it was just a very serious illness). When someone finally came out and said the word "cancer", I was upset that 1) I didn't realize leukemia was cancer 2) No one had used the word cancer and that they had seemed to avoid that word. As a side note, CLL is a cancer of your white blood cells that come from your bone marrow. It is often discovered in older people, especially men. It is not treated in it's first stages but it is treated later on.

He went into treatment and did pretty well, considering. He has wonderful Drs in San Diego/So Cal. and would go down for several days of Chemotherapy and then take 3 weeks off to recover. At the time, it really had me worried. We were living in Maryland and I was upset that I was so far away from him, my family and the situation.

When the subject of changing jobs and then moving to a new place arose, I began looking at places in the West, to be closer to my family and closer to my Dad. When we decided upon Arizona, I was thrilled that I would be closer to my family (and other family as well).

Earlier in 2012, my Dad's white blood cell count was very good and the Dr.s decided that he was mostly in remission from his CLL (there were still traces of leukemia is his bone marrow). We were thrilled! He retired last year and was doing well but began to start feeling worse and worse. To top it all off, he developed Meniere's disease which consists of a ringing in his ears most of the time. (There's an app that you can download to simulate what it sounds like). I would have such a hard time with this!

At his most recent Dr. visit, they found that (just as we had thought) his white blood counts were very, very high and that he would most likely need treatment again. He has an appointment this Friday to see what is really going on and what treatment would be best for his unique situation.

This whole situation is scary to me. I could worry what will happen or how things will go, but I am choosing not to- I am choosing Faith. I know that with God everything is possible and I know that we can feel His Peace as we turn to Him- His Perfect Peace.

And so, I am asking you for your prayers, and your fasts when it may be possible, that my Dad will have the strength and energy he needs to endure this trial. That when/if he begins treatment that his body will be able to handle it well and that when he has time to recover, he will recover quickly and sufficiently for the next round. And let your children know to pray too (God answers the prayers of little ones so quickly.). I will keep you updated as time goes on!


Thank you so much!!! Lots of love to you all!


------------------------------------------

My Dad- a post I wrote 2 1/2 years ago.



Comments