On Budgeting


Happy Wednesday! I just received a new-to-me lap top so I have decided to celebrate with a blog post! Yay!

Happy Birthday to Asher who turns 9 today! He's at Scout Day Camp today and I hope they do a little something for him. More on that later!

As you know, we have been looking for a permanent, full time position for Josh for quite a while now. It's been hard. Hard searching. Hard getting rejected for an open position again and again. It's hard budgeting our money.

Let's be honest. I love to shop. I love to go shopping and get a good deal, even though sometimes it's not something I need. I'm not perfect, but I've learned a few things that have helped me manage a family of 7 on little-no income coming in. Here are my Top Five Tips of how to budget your money- especially hen your budget is tight.

Top Five $ Tips:

1. Stay away from couponing/ money saver sites (when your budget it very tight). Yes, I know it is awesome that I can buy that nerf football for $9.99 when it is normally $15.99, but unless I need it for a birthday present (and maybe not even then) I don't need it!

2. Stay away from home decor pins on Pinterest. It just makes me what to buy things for my home and redecorate and I just don't have the budget for that! 

3. Substitute something cheaper for something more expensive. No, I can't buy that faux fur pillow for my living room right now, but I can buy a $1 9x13 brownie mix and add marshmallows/melted pb/double chocolate chips to create something new.

4. Create a budget and stick to it. I still have a hard time with this sometime but this is essential.

5. Have your budget go from the 15th of the month to the 15th of the month. That way it doesn't feel like you have no money at the end of the month- it's in the middle of the month that you may be down to your last pennies in your budget.

***I still have a lot to learn about budgeting. If you have any tips, or advice let me know! But, let them be cheap! No $50 planner/budget spreadsheets for me! 

Comments