Eating Dairy Free for Declan

Our First Family Picture- a family of seven! (don't you love Elizabeth's pose?)

At 3-4 Days old Declan started getting super fussy (right when this picture was taken). He would have hour long stretches of fussing and crying and not being able to settle. While it was definitely inconvenient during the day, the hour long stretches at night were the hardest. After some discussion with some friends, I decided to try and cut out dairy and see if that made any difference.

It was hard to do right then, because people were bringing us meals and I had no idea if milk was in them or not. But, after a few mistakes- putting butter on my English muffin late at night, eating the spaghetti sauce that had cheese in it, I was able to go for a long stretch without any dairy.

That, plus a frequent use of Milacon drops, has made a wonderful difference! He no longer cries for those hour stretches like he used to. He is happy and eating and sleeping pretty well. Helping him fall asleep on his own has helped too (thanks, Josh for the support- I couldn't do it with you!).

And so, while it has been hard cutting out dairy, I am so glad that I have done it. I have found myself eating a lot healthier too. I have found that I actually like Almond milk in a good bowl of cereal. I also like eating oatmeal almost every morning and have found new and different ways to eat it- PB& J oatmeal, PB and berry oatmeal and my favorite- PB, honey and peanut and raisin oatmeal (really, it's yummy!). I have tuna or beans and rice for lunch and I make a mean cheeseless calzone. For Mother's Day we had glazed Salmon, baby red potatoes, a good salad and strawberry pie for dessert- yum!

I'm excited for this new way of eating! I plan to add a calcium supplement today as well although almond milk and OJ with calcium as well as veggies have calcium too.

Yes, I couldn't have the Mother's Day treat of a sugar cookie, but the kids were happy I shared it and having some red licorice instead. And I have a happy baby! :) That is always a good thing!

Here's a great link on eating dairy free- Eating Dairy Free for Your Baby.

Happy Monday!

**I do miss chocolate. Hello, Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix (dairy free!).

Comments

Thats great and it is good to cut out dairy of any diet (although I cannot give up my fro yo!) ; Glad it has helped Declan too! Yay for happy babies!!