A Small Kindness

 
 Opening Presents on 3 Kings Day (Jan. 6th) See Elizabeth's New Glasses?


Ethan showing the GAK we made from Kelsy's Christmas present. Thanks, Kelsy!!


Let Me Tell You a Story

Often, in the mornings, I pray for a chance to serve someone that day. It's fun to see how some prayers are answered clearly and distinctly, while others are answered in a less obvious way.

A couple days after Christmas, I said my morning prayers and went about my normal routine. I decided to take Sadie along with me on my run, even though I usually didn't. While I was running, I went a little longer than normal and looped around the kids school. As I passed the kids' school playground I noticed a small blue square slip of paper. I immediately knew what it was (a slip you take to the LDS Temple to get a person's work done).

I knew that here was my chance to serve someone that day- to serve the person who lost this paper and the person whose name was on the paper. I knelt down and tried to grab it through the bars. My arm wasn't long enough, so I used Sadie's leash to push it towards me and out. The paper was wet and sandy, but I could read the person's name whose it was and address. The person still had work left to do for them in the Temple. I continued home and mailed it to that person the same day.

Fast Forward to last Saturday night, about a month later. Josh and I attended our ward Temple night with friends and fellow ward and Stake Members. There were two wards in the session that night. I sat by my sweet friend Louise and noticed that she was doing work for her friend sitting next to her named Colleen. I thought the name Colleen and her last name looked familiar but I couldn't place it.

Later during the session, Colleen must have mentioned to Louise that someone named Megan Abbott had returned her Temple Card through the mail. Louise turned to me and told me that it was Colleen who I had returned the card to!

What a funny coincidence that she was sitting in the Temple right near me on that same day with a friend close by to introduce us. Later we were waiting and Colleen and I chatted about how that paper ended up there, how most people wouldn't know what to do with the paper. And still later our husband's met. She seemed a kindred spirit and I hope to get to know her even better!

What great opportunities are available as we serve others!

Comments