On Motherhood


I have often found that some people can say exactly what I want to say, in fewer words no less, and say them with much more grace and agility than I ever could. It is on those days, when I find something that speaks to my heart, a pure gem, you may say, that instead of writing what I was planning to write, I put it off for another day and let someone else speak in my stead. Today is one of those days.

Family planning: It's none of THEIR business!

I agree. Now that I have been on both sides of fertility- being able to conceive children very fast (four kids 3 yrs old and under) and not always a way we would choose (twins 20 months after our first baby while Josh was in Law School and another one due right around when he was taking the bar exam) and now our youngest is four years old and there is no new baby coming. Yet. Despite our desires and our will. It is the Lord's will what may happen. It is not about me. Or us. It is about Him. And I am grateful for all that He has given me: a handsome husband who works harder now than when he was in Law School, to support and provide for our family. Elizabeth, who just yesterday said "I like spending time with you" as we walked hand and hand down the street. Ethan and Jonah, who are my adorable blonde twin boys who keep me on my toes and love to craft and create things. And Asher, who touches my heart every day with his "I love you, Mom" and his little hand pats on my back. And the little one who I lost at 8 weeks along five months ago, you too. I love you guys, my little, precious family.

This is my blog and my name is Megan.

p.s. okay, so I couldn't let her say it all- I had to add my two cents in as well! Oh,well.

Picture taken above- July 4th, 2006, Elizabeth age 3- almost 4, Ethan(wearing blue) and Jonah (wearing red as usual) age 2 and pregnant with baby Joseph Asher, who would be born four days later.

Comments

bedelia said…
I totally agree. I wrote a big long comment as to why but then I just got mad so I had to erase it.
Shawnie Cannon said…
I had six children in 8 1/2 years and also had four under four (no twins). And I used to get all kinds of looks and disapproval and attempts at cutting comments. Along with wonderful compliments. My husband had a really clever response. When people would says things like "This is your last one, right?" My husband would respond, "Nope, this is our middle child." It would always take them a minute to absorb that and then feel a bit sheepish. My other comment was "I am raising responsible, educated, contributing members to society, you tell me we have too many of those?" Bless your heart!
Mrs.Spy said…
Good for you! You know what is best for your family and it brings you happiness, it is nobody else's business when or how many kids you have.
Sharon Cohen said…
Putting God in charge is always a good idea - but if you were only going to rely on Him for one thing - it should be in the creation of children.

I hope that people will hear you - you have chosen the best path. Glad you invited me to stop by (via MMB).
Hilary said…
I agree. It's the person's decision... until they whine all the time that they hate their kids. I've been in that situation and it's just awkward...
but moms who love being moms ususally do it so amazingly well they should have 40.
Except I woudln't deliver it,because your uterus would probably explode. :)
Maria said…
I randomly clicked on your blog from mormonmommyblogs. I went to law school with your husband and I remember when you had your twins (right around finals or something big, if I remember right). I remember wondering how you both could handle that and school and everything else in life.

I had my first baby our last semester of law school. I got many questions from men in our class about how I could handle school and baby. I wouldn't change our timing and am so grateful for that time.

Say hi to Josh from Maria--he may remember me from Prof. Preston's class when she lined us all up by color and I was declared the whitest.
Mrs Abbott said…
Maria, will do! Thanks for stopping by and reading by blog! How are you going and what are you guys up to?
This is on my top ten list of things that I don't want to talk about with most people.