On Motherhood, part 2


Normally I don't feel very strongly concerning my blog posts that I write. The post entitled "On Motherhood" and this one that I am about to write, I feel very strongly about. This subject "On Motherhood, part 2" arose from a conversation that I had with two Mothers at school, while we were waiting for the bell to ring and our children be released to us.

As some of you know, I was recently voted in as Vice President of the PTA. These two Mothers do some volunteer work with the PTA, and although they are not on the board, they contribute and help out at the school often. My new position has lead me into new friendships (which I am so excited about) and these two Mothers are some of these new friends I made.

The conversation started out with "I didn't know you had twins!" When they had introduced me to the Parents at Back to School Night, they also said how many kids we had and which classes they were in. The same Mom continued "I always just saw one of those boys." Ethan and Jonah do walk around a lot and I don't dress them matching, so I can see how this happens.

The other Mother commented (who I've met several times before at the pool this summer) "Yeah! I had no idea you had four children!" They were in awe. The other Mother commented on how one time I was walking with my friend Melissa C., who also has four children, and she had to count to see how many we had together! To further increase their awe, I replied cheerfully "And I want more! And Melissa is expecting her fifth!" They were surprised!

Let me leave you with the statement, given in General Conference in Oct. 2007, three years ago, which even caused a stir amongst Latter-day Saints. She says "Whereas in many cultures in the world children are 'becoming less valued' in the culture of the gospel we still believe in having children...Women who know desire to bear children." I think the key word is desire. It is what's in your heart. If, because of your circumstances, whether your husband is stationed in the army and you are left of bear the burden of raising your children alone. Or if you get sick suddenly and need surgery that doesn't allow the bearing of children, if you desire children, you will be blessed.

"Women who desire and work toward that blessing (Motherhood) in this life are promised they will receive it for all eternity, and eternity is much, much longer than mortality."

"There is eternal influence and power in Motherhood." (Mothers Who Know, Julie B. Beck, Relief Society General President, General Conference October 2007)

Enough said. This is my blog. My name is Megan.

p.s. This blog post has been edited from it's previous state. Before, I spoke of how the Duggars are expecting their 20th child and how I felt.


Comments

Molly said…
Hi Megan,
In defense of your friends and yourself, I don't think you should equate anything that they were saying about the Duggars with people who want five kids. I am not surprised that they did not express "awe" at a mother with 20 kids but disgust and anger. True, as Christians we believe that there we are commanded to have children if we are able but it is also a commandment to be prudent and wise and temperant. I haven't seen anything about the Duggars on t.v. but I have no respect for them either. I have no doubt that she is going against medical advice- on behalf of herself and this baby- especially after preeclampsia last time. I don't think intentionally putting yourself at risk for death- which is what we're talking about- when you have that many children is laudable at all. I think I am more disdainful of the whole situation because they are on reality t.v. Reality t.v. has always been all about the extreme and sensational and for them to continue to promote their family and beiefs through that media is far from praiseworthy. Another series, another book deal... I beieve that God asks some people to do some pretty tough things but I don't think He would do that if people would then broadcast those things to the world. Does that make sense. I understand their decision not to use oral contraceptives because of the nebulous mechanism with which they prevent pregnancy but there are a lot of other methods out there for those lucky fertile people. No, Meg, don't take offense. They were talking about something totally different than you and your family. Love,
Molly
Shelley said…
Hi, I just found your blog. Loved this post!