Last Day of September


Welcome leaves,
Falling down Like bits of Heaven,
Star crusted in Flakes
Of dark red, orange and yellow.


Welcome jack-o-laterns,

Smiling at me from t-shirts, Porches
and the Prairie Home Companion.


Welcome cool, crisp apples,
Ready to be dipped in warm melted
Carmel and enjoyed.


Welcome clean new Preschool Calendar,

Dotted with tiny orange pumpkins

And announcing a field trip to
The Pumpking Patch
and a Pizza Party.


Welcome Martha's Stewart's Halloween Central,

Kids changing their minds on what to be that
magical
Night: a vampire bride turned into a butterfly fairy,
Things 1 and 2 become Mummies and a Spiderman

lurks in the distance.

Welcome, Fall, with your cooler temperatures,

Your textured sweaters, your promises of snow

In the near future.


I welcome you.

Even though I am not in California,
where
the Fall barely exists or in Utah,
where the leaves change
colors on Mountainsides.

I am in Maryland, where Fall Foliage and no humidity
Means a time for Thanksgiving, a time for reflecting
And a time for class parties and dress up.

Welcome Fall, I Welcome you, full heartedly!


This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Missa said…
That is a great poem, Megan. We have had such warm temperatures, that it feels like summer still and not fall. Your poem makes me excited for the changes that will surely come.