New York City, Part deux



















Saturday, the 14th of Aug, started off with a trip on NYC Metro. We stayed in an apartment in Brooklyn, so we took the train to the Staten Island Ferry. The weather was beautiful and we got an early start, catching the 8:30 am ferry to see the Statue of Liberty (we got our tickets online beforehand). It was amazing. At first I thought it was smaller than it seemed, but upon arrival I saw that it was huge. We walked around and I was in awe of what Miss Liberty and what she represents.

The ferry also hit Ellis Island and we debated whether to get off- we only had a day in New York City, but we did and didn't regret it. You can just feel the history in the immigration office. Like the spirits of those who went through there were watching over us.

Getting back to mainland, we took the subway to Canal street, where I had to buy something at Burger King in order to use the public restroom. There is no where to use the bathroom downtown, so do it while you can, for free! We hit canal st., which is full of street vendors selling food (I got the fried platains), belts (I got a silver one because my pants were falling off me just right then), pics, clothes, scarfs and jewelry. I also got a necklace, but I need to brush up on my street bargaining skills.

We hit little Italy, where we ate delicious pastries (although there was one casualty- one hit the floor!) and debated on whether we should dine at the bazillion Italian restaurants lining the street. No wonder the homeless don't starve in New York. There's too much food here for anyone to starve.

We hit Metro Cafe for lunch, where I got a huge salad and a free hard boiled egg on the side- I don't need to brush up on my flirting with the Hispanic hosts, and Josh got a panini. We made it to our afternoon showing of Frank Sinatra's Come Fly With me, where we laughed at the Senior Citizens chatting behind us, gawked and closed our eyes at the lack of clothes after the second act and I fell asleep in the middle of it all.

We hit 5th ave., Tiffany and co., American Girl Store and F.A.O Shwartz, which was our favorite! We met up with Rich and went through Central Park, seeing the Manhattan temple at the end. I love how you can be in a big city which such busyness and find peace one you walk through the doors of the temple. We ate Chinese near the New York Harbor, went grocery shopping, caught a taxi home and said Goodnight to New York 50 floors up on the roof of the Brooklyner. This blog wouldn't be complete without a youtube video of the song Josh and I sang all while we were walking the streets of "NEW YORK!...Concrete Jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can't do. These streets will make you feel brand new. These lights will inspire you..."



This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments