Checkin' out the County Fair



Last Monday we hit the Montgomery County Fair. Josh strongly dislikes everything to do with the fair- the baseness of it all, the long lines, the heat, the smells and the greasy food so we went while he was at work. It was so hot and humid. Bleh. We had checked out the animals then ducked into as many air conditioned buildings as possible. My favorite was the photography and art building. I love, love, love seeing other people's photography. It's amazing what you can do with a good camera and good lighting. I didn't even know you could win a blue ribbon for lego construction. We need to start working on that. We also hit the vegetable building where there were four different potatoes and one was awarded the coveted blue ribbon. They all pretty much looked like an Idaho spud to me. Good thing I wasn't the judge! My kids and I all decided that a family in our Church ward- the Hurts- should enter in their Gingerbread creations. Last year they did a replica of the Titanic. It was amazing. Too bad gingerbread and said candy would not last until the next August!

My least favorite part of the trip had to be when we were ready to go home and had to wander around the parking lot for 15 minutes trying to find our van, in 90 degree weather with crazy humidity at 12 o'clock noon. All I could do was promise the kids pizza at the nearby air conditioned Sams Club *before I did my weekly shopping*. Finally I found our van- I had only seen this many vans at Wal-mart or Blueberry picking before- by asking a teenager to watch my kids while I ran up and down the main aisle frantically looking for our car. I even called Josh. He didn't remember where I had parked the car. Go figure. I even have a pink Minnie Mouse Disney thing on my antenna. That did NOT help. Next car we get will have an alarm we can beep.

But I'll still go next year. Cause that's how I roll.



This was the weirdest thing ever. In the kids zone, they had a huge pit of soy beans. I guess Montgomery County produces a lot of soy. Who would have thought? I can't remember how many round little soy beans there were, but there was a lot and they kept getting in Ethan's sagging jeans. At one point someone said "One got in my ear!" and I was outta there! No E.R. visits for me with a child who shoved a soy bean in their ear canal. No thank you. (note Ethan's horizontal head in the above picture! Yes, that's Ethan by the way. Jonah is in green. Although he should be in red. I think he stole that shirt from Asher's drawer. Yes, I have three boys who all wear almost the same size. Crazy! Note Asher's long hair in the back. We gave them hair cuts on Sunday. More on that later!)



Asher smiling in the pit! He loved it and could not be persuaded to come out. Maybe I could do the same thing with all my beans from my food storage when they go bad. Probably not as I only have 3 or 4 bags of lentils anyhow! I wonder what they'll do with these beans afterwards? Travel to another fair in Iowa where they have the doughnut hamburger (a beef patty sandwiched between two glazed doughnuts) and fried butter (that's right folks, we got bored with frying oreos and twinkies and decided to skip all that fluff and just fry butter. mmm.) How many kids will have played in these soy beans? As equal to or greater than the amount of kids who play in the ball pit at Smaland atIKEA. Ok, I'll stop- too much writing for me!



The camel you could ride on for $6. Pretty cool. We didn't ride it though. I did ask a worker the camel's name though. It was so weird I completely forgot it right after he told me it. Oh,well.



Asher driving the tractor, notice the pink flush on his face. We were dying!!!



Smile, Jonah!

Comments