My D &C

Well, I feel a little loopy now, but I'm back home safe and sound. Today was my scheduled D & C. Ellen drove me around up to Frederick Memorial Hospital (that's where my Dr. works) around 9 am in the rain. I signed in and sat down and longingly read Cooking Light, as I couldn't eat anything since last night. After sitting down for five minutes, all the lights went out. It was pretty scary. They flickered on and off again and came back on halfway with the Generator.

People started talking and someone said "Let the government fix it." Hee hee. It scary to be getting ready for surgery and have the electricity go out! They called my number and couldn't give me any paperwork since the computers were down, but sent me to the surgery desk anyways. I gues someone had a car accident and hit a pole. It was out for two hours. Pretty crazy.

Let me tell you about hospitals. I generally dislike them. I don't like the sterile walls, the smells, the sights, the sounds, etc. I started remembering when I was at a hospital last- when baby Charlotte was sick and in a coma. It was the last time I saw her. It was sad.

I was admitted and got dressed in the gown and they couldn't find my veins for an IV since I hadn' t drank anything since last night. I rested for half an hour and wished Josh could be there. But that's okay. They taped my ring so it wouldn't fall off and the Dr. and anesthesialogist met with me. She approved my trip to Utah next week and answered some questions. They wheeled me into the OR, complete with bright lights and everything.

Last time I was in the OR was in 2004, when the twins were born. I remember being so excited and then having to wait for while until I was at a 10 and then they were born! Such cute babies! Anyways, they gave me some medicine in my IV and said I would feel drowy. I felt drowsy and just then I was waking up in a different room with different people walking around and doing paperwork. It was really wierd. I think they should have explained to me exactly what would happen.

My friend picked me up and we went out to Taco Bell since I was starving. I love Taco Bell, by the way! Too bad Josh hates it. Life is good and I'm recovering well. Thanks for all of your concern and prayers.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Joanie said…
Glad everything went well!!! It makes you appreciate the teamwork that takes place in a hospital and the skills a good doctor has. Now relax this week!!!! Take it slow and gradual...your body is in healing mode...eat fruits with Vitamin C-strawberries! Orange juice. Protein for rebuilding cells. Eat! Rest! Be happy! Love, Mom
Laura said…
I am glad you did the D & C. My sister has done it both ways and said that waiting for it to happen naturally was way more horrible and painful. I don't know if you remember, but I lost my first at 13 weeks and had to have a d&c. I understand, if you want to talk, I'm an email or phone call away!