Twin to twin, part 2

Twin to twin, continued...

Everything progressed naturally. We had an ultrasound once a month to check and see if everything was okay and to watch for twin to twin transfusion. Twin to twin transfusion is when the two placentas are fused together and the twins end up sharing nutrients. Usually one takes too much nutrients while the other takes too little. It can be fatal, so they like to keep an eye out for it. For my twins they didn't know if they were fraternal or not because the placentas were all mushed together and they couldn't tell if it was one placenta that was broken or two placentas fused together. At the ultrasound for 24 weeks everything was fine. Same with the one at 28 weeks and 32 weeks. They were getting bigger and bigger and were almost always the same weight. We never made it to the 36 week one.

It was a Sunday, May 16th. I was 34 1/2 weeks along. I had just come from a meeting with the Relief Society Sisters from my ward at Church. They asked me when they should deliver meals for me when I had the twins. I told them probably mid June. I got home and took Elizabeth for a walk while Josh took a nap. It was around 11 am. While walking the contractions started. They were coming every five minutes. I had to go back home and put Elizabeth down for a nap. I remember thinking that it was really hard to care for Elizabeth while I was in labor. I layed down for an hour and they still kept coming. It was time to go to Church. After Elizabeth's labor being so long (50 hours) we decided to just go with the flow and still go to Church. All through Sacrament Meeting the contractions came every five minutes. I would squeeze Josh's hand every time they came. After the meeting was over I said "Let's go to the hospital." Josh said "let's go home and wait for a while." "Okay" I said. I laid down and the contractions kept get worse. I knew this wasn't good. Josh called the hospital and they said since it was twins to come on it. I kept thinking, they are early but they are about five pounds, we should be able to take them home with us!

We went to the Hospital (Utah Valley) and were expecting to be given something to stop the labor so we brought Elizabeth along with us. They checked me and I was at a 6. No going home when you are at a 6! We were there to stay and have us some babies!

To be continued...

Comments

No...don't stop...i've waited all day to read and now i hafta wait til tomorrow.....
aw man!

I see you found out late, like i did, about carrying twins. Were you growing so huge, so quickly and wondering why you were so big?

I had ladies in my office teasing about me being so big. They'd all say that i had twins in my belly, but i never believed them!

Crazy....