Christ and Overcoming Depression


A tree Elizabeth made in Art class. Cute, huh?

As some of you may know, I was diagnosed with major Depression in November. I started taking Lexapro, an anti-depressant, and after four weeks I was able to tell my doctor that I am doing 80% better! I have upped my medication to get to 90% better (after that I'm on my own says the Dr.!) and am still seeing a counselor, as medicine and talk therapy have had the best known results. All throughout this trial I have grown closer to my Savior. I have found myself on my knees, or just praying in the living room or in the kitchen for strength. In all my life, I never thought that depression would be a trial I would have to go through.

Yes, if runs in my family and yes, my twin sister has had it, but I thought not me! I have usually been the positive upbeat one in the family. As i t turns out, that yes, me! Especially moving to a new state, with Josh's new job and four little kids at home and my exercise routines, reading groups, goal setting and planning all put to the wayside, it happened! I am grateful to my Heavenly Father and to my Savior for being with me during this difficult time in my life. I couldn't have done it without them.

I know that once you have depression, the chances of you relapsing are greater, but hopefully with good exercise, a good diet, lots of sleep and fun hobbies, I will hope to keep depression at bay and know that I can always get help from someone if I need it. We are never alone and I am grateful for that.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

ps. on a side note, Josh has been a wonderful support to me. Thank you, babe, for putting up with me for the past eight or nine months! I love you so much!

pps. Thank you Dad, for all your e-mails, dvds, research on depression and support! Without your help, it would have been a lot harder for me, if not impossible! Thank you Mom, for always loving me and being supportive of whatever I decided to do.

ppps. Thank you Dad and Mom Abbott for your support also! You have given me support throughout the years and it has been much appreciated! Thank you everyone for you prayers and love! I am so grateful for families.

Comments

Jen said…
Interesting that depression isn't something that shows. You can be both upbeat (on the outside) and depressed (on the inside). Good luck re-establishing heathly, happy routines and networks!

By the way, we loved that we could come visit you, even though it was a whirlwhind trip. We love you guys tons!
Joanie said…
I Love You! -kelsy