New Town Fiasco

One thing I don't like about living in a new town, is that I don't know exactly when each store/ library opens. This morning we set out for a new place: the Germantown library. I figured that it opened at 10 am, just like the one in Gaithersburg.

I parked the car on the street, unloaded four kids, plus a bunch of books and a stroller and headed to the front door. It was locked. It was cold and windy. I looked at my watch. Five to 10. Ok. I said, let's wait for five minutes until it opens I told the kids. We huddled in a corner to keep warm and I told them a story about three little kids and a wolf. At 10:00 we checked. It was still closed. We waited five minutes and then took off downtown. All the stores didn't open until 11, since they were ice cream and hamburger places and it was extremely cold and windy.

Elizabeth had been there before with Josh, so she convinced me to go around the back and try a different door. (That's not the right door, Mommy! Aaah!). It was locked also. Finally I looked at the sign under "Wednesday" 1pm -9pm it stated. Aaaah! We had just spent the last twenty minutes in the cold and now I had to head back to our car without any respite from the wind. To top it all off, I started to return the books, and then realized maybe I couldn't return Gaithersburg books to Germantown.

Once in the car, Asher feel asleep almost right away from the trauma of it all and I stopped at Burger King to buy Hot Chocolate. No, they didn't have hot chocolate, but hey, mini-cinnamon rolls and chocolate milk should do the trick. We came home, I turned the tv on and called Josh to vent. What a crazy, crazy morning!

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments