The Princess Academy

For those of you who aren't familiar with Shannon Hale, let me familiarize you for a second. Shannon Hale is an LDS author. She lives in Salt Lake with her husband and two children and this was where I first read her first book, Goose Girl. I loved it and proceeded to read Edna Burning, which gave me nightmares, so I gave up on her for a while.

A couple of weeks ago I was perusing the Juvenile section of our local library, while my children quietly read books. I was going to write "while my children were running wild" but they weren't. They were all- even Asher- reading books at one table. It was amazing. It was like a gift from Heavenly Father, because it gave me a chance to find this book on the shelf- Princess Academy- from the New York Times Bestseller List I might add- and then read it and feel that it was written for me. Here's a passage I came across today that describes how I am feeling pertaining to my progress with co-dependency, differentiation, low self esteem, or however YOU choose to describe it:

"Britta had a shrewd smile. 'I keep thinking about a tale my nurse used to read to me about a bird whose wings are pinned to the ground (that's me- the bird- pinned to the ground by my low self esteem). Have you heard it? In the end, when he finally frees himself (that's me- freeing myself- with a little help from others, but mostly by myself), he flies so high he becomes a star. My nurse said the story was about how we all have something that keeps us down." (Princess Academy, pg. 179, paragraph 6).

I am free. I am flying. How do I know this? By my success in Joy School today, by seeing the things Heavenly Father wants me to be and never even having imagined that my future could ever be so bright or my possibilities ever so endless. We are going to have many children. We are going to raise them up unto the Lord. I am going to love being a Mom and being at home with my children. Yes, challenges and temptations will arise. I will learn from them and grow because I am Megan Abbott, a Princess Academy Super Star.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Fox and Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fox and Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said…
I loved "Princess Academy." I thought "Goose Girl" was good, but it seemed like by this third book, she really hit her stride. I hope she can continue with this kind of quality--really, the characters, the plot and pacing, the themes, the fantastical element--I felt like it all came together and just worked!