The Book of Mormon: Read in 3 months

www.lds.org

I've been trying to follow our Prophet's counsel and read the Book of Mormon (a 500 page plus book). I've read it more than several times before but this time has been amazing! I read about 7 pages of thin scripture a day and it takes me about 45- 60 minutes depending on how often I get interrupted by the kids (I read it in the morning after breakfast- crazy, I know- but my kids can ready by themselves- mostly!). 

Reading it this fast has opened my eyes to 3 important things.

1. Who the characters really are. I am amazed at the things that I've learned about the real prophets who are in the Book of Mormon. Did you know Lehi was Enos's (the Prophet who prayed all night) Grandpa? Jacob (of Nephi, Sam, Laman, Lemuel, Joseph and Jacob) was his Dad. 

Amulek was a convert and a great help to Alma. They were asked to preach repentance to the people and the people tried to kill them. The people even burned the righteous believers in a fire and Alma and Amulek had to just watch. I am asked to do hard things and their example helps to do them with a little bit more patience.

2. How much the Book of Mormon speaks about Christ.  I have been circling every reference to Christ like President Nelson suggested and almost every page has 4-5 or more references to Him. It has helped me remember Him, feel closer to Him and love Him.

3. How to set a goal and achieve it. Goals are often very big. Run a marathon, read a long book, watch 4 movies in a row. To achieve the goal, you need to take it one step at a time. Literally for the marathon. Page by page for reading the Book of Mormon. I hope I get it finished by December 31st and maybe I'll get a treat as well! :D 

What BIG GOALS are YOU trying to achieve? What can you do to achieve them? You GOT THIS!

Comments

Joanie said…
I also am doing 7 or 8 pages a day to finish before Christmas. The concept of reading it chronologically every day does truly give you quite a perspective. At the moment, I fully am into all the battles and war strategies of Captain Moroni in the last half of the book of Alma. I have a greater appreciation of Captain Moroni and the dependence he had on the Lord and all the hardships they went through. I love it when we get challenges to do...and setting a goal with a deadline...Now I am also trying to figure out how to do a good "life review" as we also have been challenged to do.