My Dad’s final days

 On November 14, 2021, my Dad was admitted to the City of Hope Hospital after an at home test showed that he had Covid, as well as my Mom and my 97 year old Grandma Betty. His cancer was progressing as well. They found tumors in his spine and bones. There was still hope that treatment could be done. His normal Dr was on vacation for two weeks. When she got back, she said that the only option left would only give my Dad a very short time extra.

For about a week before my Dad was in so much pain and had so much pain medicine that he couldn’t stay awake long. I FaceTimed him every morning. Some days were harder than others but every day we had a few good words at least. This was a tender mercy for me. On Tuesday, December 14th, the day before his string of very rough days and not able to talk we had a good talk. He told me I was just as cute as Rosie and gave me advice on how to deal with Jonah’s eye situation. He told me “keep up the good work” right before we hung up. I will always remember his last words to me.

On Saturday December 18th, after my Mom requested, he went into Hospice. City of Hope has a small apartment that allows families of patients on Hospice to take care of their family members. It took a day to get him in. On my birthday I FaceTimed him. He was mostly closing his eyes, but heard what I was saying. He talked to his brother and sister and his Mom Grandma Betty came and visited. On Monday Dec 20th, my sister Larissa called me at 10:50 pm and said that he was gone. Thus ended the mortal life of my Father. I know I will see him again and we can be together forever and I am so grateful for him and all that he did for me in my life. I love you, Daddy!


















Comments