On Helping Teeneagers




I read in a blog (71toes.com) something about how to get along with your teenagers that I really liked. The author spoke about “returning the volley” to our kids. When they are babies we are interested in what they are interested in. We say “that’s a cow” and “it says Moo” and the child says “Moo”. We say “yay!! Right!!”

She suggests we do the same with our teenagers. Yesterday Asher commented- “the food I’ve been eating is so bland, I just want to cook something nice!” “Ok” I said “go for it.” He decided on crepes (one of his favorites), checked to see if we had some ingredients and then we had a discussion on how to separate the egg yolks and how they felt so weird when they did. All this from my 14- almost 15- year old. It was amazing to watch.

I love my teenagers! They make me so happy- especially when they get along with each other. They aren’t perfect, but hey, no one is, right?!

Comments