On Being Kind


 

I tried cutting out sugar and flour completely from my diet.

It lasted two days.

On Tuesday I ate not very much- a salad, three boiled eggs, a few glasses of milk and some meat.

On Wednesday I had about the same, adding in a few protein smoothies *which I love*. I felt very tired because my body wasn't used to getting energy from just meat and dairy.

On Thursday morning, I tried to eat more protein and high fats- coconut oil and butter in my Crio Bru and eggs and bacon.

Also that morning, Declan- my 3 yr old- dumped a bowl of delicious looking, cold Life Cereal all over me and then asked if he could watch a show. I melted down! As I scrubbed the floor of the sweet bowl of carbs that I could not have and felt the milk seep into my favorite work out shoes, I got mad.

"No, you CANNOT watch another show (he had watched something on my phone on waking up). NO."

He started to cry and said "Mom, be kind."

Oh, wow.

Be still my heart.

What did I do? Did I stop and give him a hug right then?

No, I didn't.

I was still too upset.

"I can't be kind right now. I just can't." I eeked out.

And that's when I knew that I needed to get back on carbs and *just a little* sugar. My body needs carbs. It starves without it. Every ounce of my body was yearning for that LIFE cereal. Some may call it a craving. Okay. Maybe it was. But I knew that I did not want to feel that upset. Nor did Declan deserve to see that side of me.

I took Declan in my arms, wiped his tears and said that I was sorry.

"That's okay, Mom" he said as he ran off to watch his show (yep, I caved.)

Life can be hard sometimes. Sometimes we cave in to limits we have set for ourselves.
We can come back and revisit them another day. But, for today, we need to do what we feel deeply in our hearts is right.

And that's okay.

Let's not make life any harder on ourselves than it needs to be.

Comments