NDPH: New Daily Persistent Headache

I can pinpoint the day my daily headache began. It was a warm Thursday, May 22, 2014. It was the last day of school for my four kids. I don't think that triggered it, but I was feeling a bit nervous and excited since I would be home all summer with them in the hot Phoenix weather with a small 6 week old babe. 

At first it wasn't that bad. It was just a headache. 

And I dealt with it.

I took tylenol.

It didn't help.

I took advil and Ibuprofen, drank some coke and applied peppermint oil to my temples and PastTense to my neck. 

Nothing seemed to help.

My poor kids.I had to tell them to be quiet. Mom has a headache. 

I gave up gluten for a week. No help. I wasn't eating dairy because my baby didn't tolerate it well.

Poor Josh. I had a headache. All the time.

And so, the headache continued. Every day it was there. Some days it was pretty strong. Other days it was very mild. But still there.

After 2 visits to the Dr., my visit to an ENT, a visit to a Neurologist and a clear MRI (thank goodness although a part of me wished I had some tangible evidence of this pain that we could eradicate with something) I received a diagnosis.

New Daily Persistent Headache. It's rare. It consists of having a headache for over three months. Most people know the day their headache started. Some have it really bad all day long and have to quit their jobs. I don't. And I'm thankful. 

It's been compared to a dimmer switch. Throughout the day it can be turned up or turned down but it's always there.

Some medicines help. I tried Topamax. I felt like I was going to pass out. Not good. On to Propranolol. That also helps with anxiety, which I could use as well. We'll see how it goes!

And as I told my sister Amy, I hope it goes away in a year and a half.

I am hopeful.

I don't want to seem sick or disabled in anyway. I will keep exercising, playing the piano and teaching primary.

Even though my head hurts.

Sometimes a lot.

Comments

Megan - so sorry you have to deal with such a trial. I only get headaches periodically and it is the worse thing ever!! SO i am sure it must be so frustrating for you! ); We love you and will keep praying that it will disappear as fast as it appeared! Much love!