Mothers (and Scarlet Fever)

 
 Asher, water day 2012

 I spent a part of this morning watching Mormon Messages on the couch with Asher. Early Friday morning Asher awoke, throwing up, with a fever and covered in tiny red dots. We had no idea what it was. Josh googled his symptoms and there were 800 possibilities. 

Thankful to have not taken that sub job I was offered the day before, we headed to the Dr. "I think it's Scarlet Fever" the Dr. said right away. I guess the red rash gave it away. (Scarlet fever is strep throat plus a rash, one in 1,000 kids get it).

We headed home after getting some meds and were a bit sad that he had to miss the Father and Sons Camp Out that night as well as the fact that I wouldn't have alone time with Elizabeth. There always comes the good though! I have gotten to spend a lot of time with Asher and it's really been a blessing. I've been feeling kinda blue lately (our home is still for sale in MD and our foster care caseworker has been super swamped with cases) and a good dose of Asher's humor, smile and laughter has been enough to boost my spirits, make my heart smile and generally remind me of the good things in life.

About his red bumps, Asher said: "Mom, you have the same red bumps- only they're pimples!" Thanks, Asher!

Speaking about the good things in life, one of the Mormon Messages we watched was called The Women in Our Lives. It touched my heart (I may or may not have cried). I love to hear President Hinckley, one of my favorite Prophets, speak about a topic so dear to my heart- Mothering.

Asher: "I know why we have tissues next to the couch." "Why?"  "Because people cry alot." Who, me?

I have a Mother who is beautiful and kind, wonderful and amazing. I have a Mother-in-Law who is both smart and wise, talented and funny. I am so lucky that I get to be a Mother. My children have taught me more than I could ever learn on my own. As I see the world through their eyes, my heart is softened, my faith is strengthened and I yearn to be better because of them.
 
*** More on Mothering throughout this week.

***Thank you to those who may have contributed to Get Ben to the Fringe Project! He made his goal and he will be going!!

Comments