FICTIONIST!


 
 

I went to my very first rock concert Thursday- which was also the last day of school- to hear Fictionist play. Fictionist is an alternative rock group from Utah that is made up of all members of the Church. I've liked them for a while now and was super excited to find out they were playing in Phoenix.

We got a babysitter and drove up to downtown Phoenix. On the way there, we made a small detour and Josh showed me where the future site of ASU's law school will be (in abt. 3 years). I really liked it! There are ASU buildings nearby and it's not in a bad part of town. I like going into the big city and having the law school move there will mean that I get to do that more often! It will mean a longer commute for Josh though and that's not so good.

The venue was a lot smaller than I thought it would be, and on the outside there was a little rougher crowd. Josh nervously asked me "Where did you find out about this?" I follow the blog of one of the guitarist's wife and found out about it on her instagram. I was actually hoping to meet her, but listening to Fictionist as well sealed the deal (plus it was well priced).

We got in and found out that Fictionist was actually opening for a band (the Technicolors- also good!). I was worried they wouldn't give them enough time, but they had a good 30-40 minutes. We LOVED it! The music was good, the crowd was clean, the band was just great. We had an awesome time!

Afterwards, the band stepped down and talked with whoever wanted to talk with them, which was also pretty cool. I didn't see the girI I wanted to see (Caitlin Connolly) but I was nervous to ask Rob (the guitarist) if his wife was around. Finally, a chance opened up, I asked and he brought her out. We had a good conversation and hopefully it wasn't too "I read your blog and love, love your artwork". It was really, really great to meet them.

We left and had rootbeer slushies- a drink for any thirsty Arizonian- at the local Circle K. It was a marvelous night and scored big points in my book for rock n roll, sweet talent and people, and cheap/sugary drinks.

**We also got to care of our nephew while he recovered from getting his wisdom teeth out this past Wed. and Thurs. He was the fastest healer I have ever seen and was back to class Thursday night. We'll miss him when he goes to California and on to his mission!

Comments

Hilary said…
That sounds like so much fun!