We are Taught

We are taught to follow promptings. That when we feel that we should do something, we should (and I do mean should) do it and do it right away. I have had times where I felt that I should do something but I put it off, either because I was nervous or scared or unsure. I never knew what happened when I didn't follow through.

Until this week. At a still and quiet moment, I got a strong impression "Call so and so." It was dinner time and I was super hungry, so I put it off- until after dinner. Dinner happened, then conversation and dishes and an hour later I remembered. I rationalized that this person would be putting kids to bed and it would not be a good time for her.

I still tear up at the thought. As bedtime prep came and went, I found myself online and not on the phone. And when I checked my email right before going to bed, I found a message from this sweet person. They had had a nervous breakdown that evening over something and I had not been there. I can't express the sadness I felt at not having that opportunity to bless her life, and mine as well.

It was a learning experience and hopefully a turning point as well. To listen and do. Even if it is a inconvenient time. Because truthfully, it often will be.

Comments

Hilary said…
darn, how frustrating. i've had the same experience and realized afterwards that it was a prompting i was ignoring, not just a passing thought. it sure makes me want to listen more carefully the next time it happens.

Popular posts from this blog

My Depression and the Inauguration '09

Baby Name Woes

Angels Among Us