Did you know?

Did you know that you can get Heat Exhaustion for 5 days (or more)? I do. I always thought you were overheated/dehydrated for a few hours and then you were fine. I've spent the last 7 days in bed or on the couch in a faint state of nausea/headache/stomach cramps watching a show, reading blogs or reading The Hobbit (for Book club). 

Sometimes I would have a burst of energy and get up to make dinner, read the kids a book or switch laundry and then I would feel drained and be back in bed again. Ugh. Good thing it was a 3 day weekend. Good for the kids. Not so good for me. The only things that offered little comfort were watered down apple juice, soup and crackers and something to keep my mind off of it all (the show was an old series of version of North and South from the library- and a long one at that).

After a blessing on Monday, I checked in with a P.A. Tuesday (I should have called Dave!). He said that my two options were to go to the ER and get fluid thru an IV or wait it out 5 days from day 1. Considering I was on day 6, I decided to wait it out at home. At home, I talked to my dear friend who does homeopathy and she brought over a homeopathic (China Officialinus) remedy and it helped me feel a bit better! I should have called her sooner.

It didn't help the situation that I thought for sure I was pregnant, only to find out that really, it was just heat exhaustion. My PA and my friend both asked if I was pregnant and I wish I was. I got it from subbing at a preschool with very poor air conditioning for 2 days, not bringing enough water to drink the first day and being out in the sun at recess for 40 minutes in 110 weather. 

My Mom gets heat exhaustion all the time and if it's anything like what I have had, I so feel for her. Being sick is no fun and you really shouldn't have to live your life in a state of sickness! I like not being sick!

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

pps- I'm feeling a LOT better today! 

ps. check out my Mom's preparedness blog. She really has some good tips!

Comments