Awesome!


Elizabeth and baby Chloe

Elizabeth has an AWESOME teacher this year! While talking with a few Moms last year on the Stake/Church Softball field, we discussed which teachers they liked and which they didn't. Elizabeth's teacher, Mrs. Bretzke, was mentioned time and time again for 4th grade. I made a mental note of it and was sad to hear that this year the school had decided to let the computer decide who got what teachers and were not taking any requests. I put my faith in the system though and was thrilled to find that Elizabeth got Mrs. Bretzke, along with about 4 other girls from our Stake!

This year she has 33 students in her class, including 4 kids who have autism and their aide. It is one busy class. Elizabeth's teacher even has to wear a microphone around her neck for certain lesson times. I volunteered in her class from 10:30-11:30 last week and when I was leaving (very impressed with how under control the class was) Mrs. Bretzke said "Aren't you going to take Elizabeth out to lunch with you?"

How could I say no? She had already packed a lunch, so we grabbed it and walked home. What a blessing that little lunch date was! We chatted and laughed, enjoying a quiet home and a boys-free lunch. We opened a can of soda and added an ice cream sandwich for a treat. We talked about friends and recess on the playground and school work- typical 10 yr old stuff. And then we painted our nails since hers was faded and old. She said "In 8 years I will be 18, so I need to learn how to paint my nails really well!" That's right, sister!

Oh, how I relished in the one on one time with Elizabeth! I was in Heaven. Pure Heaven. And plan on doing it with each of the boys as well. Should I surprise them or should I tell them in advance? What do you think?

Oh, and btw, don't judge! You never know when someone's manicure has been done by a ten year old! She really did a good job though!

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

ps- Also, the other day, at Scouts, the boys' leader was wearing exercise clothes and I thought "Why hasn't she gotten ready for the day yet?" They were doing exercises for scouts. I need to turn my internal judge off!

Comments

Joanie said…
How sweet of the teacher to suggest you have lunch with Elizabeth and how wonderful you have that special memory now! For Mother's day Cosette did Kelsy's and Amy's nails...they were all messy, different colors and a lot on the skin ...but it was a symbol of love. I love Elizabeth!