On Being Enough


I stood with a cold can of Hansen's soda in my hand, wanting it, hoping for it. It hit 102 an hour before at 8 am and yesterday the Valley had seen a record High of 117. All I needed was a cold drink. And all I had was a dollar. That's it. I had no idea how much the soda cost but I hoped that a dollar would be enough. I stood in line, a crumpled dollar in one hand, a cold soda in the other. The cashier at the end of the line told me that I had exactly enough. Phew! I purchased the soda and moved on with my day- driving through construction, ready to unpack some of the last remaining boxes from our latest move.

While maneuvering between the orange cones and slow traffic, I wondered. What if the price of the soda was exactly what each person had? What if someone had a twenty dollar bill and really wanted that soda, just like me, and the cashier said "The price is exactly what you have."? What if someone had a quarter and again, that's how much the soda was?

And I thought about our lives, how we work and play and strive to return to live with God again. What if, at the end of our lives, God is there and you are there- a complete package of thoughts, feelings, motives and deeds and you really want to get in and live with God and his son, Jesus Christ. You don't know if who you are is enough. And then Christ says "Who you are is exactly enough. Enter in."

Some of us will have done so much with their lives: accomplishments galore. Others of us will have tried our best and done wonderful things in our own spheres. And I think if we have had pure and clean hearts, with good intentions, and have had the right ordinances done, we will be enough. Who we are will be exactly enough. And that makes me happy.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Unknown said…
beautiful thought and so true!
kristen said…
i love this post. i can't believe i missed your whole trip to california! What a crazy summer it was.