On Teaching


 Elizabeth's hair do during Girls Night Out Last Weekend

The boys in the tub after coming home from Fathers and Sons Campout- everything, even them smelled like smoke!! Loving Ethan's forehead!


I had an epiphany while substitute teaching today. I have been subbing for 6 months now and this thought came to me only just now. Teachers like having people pay attention to them. I realized this as I was in the middle of a first grade math lesson and I had to get everyone's attention back on me so we could move forward. I knew what tools to use- I graduated in Elementary Education- I just did not want to use them. I wanted to let the whole class of 20 some students, plus an Aide, continue their working on the worksheet. I wanted to let them chat, fiddle with their rulers and make little side comments to one another. I did NOT want them looking at me. 

And that's when it hit me. Good Full-time Teachers like having all of their students pay attention to them. They like the attention. They even THRIVE off of it. And that's what keeps them going, day after day, month after month, year after year.

After my first 3 months of my first year of teaching, I knew it wasn't in the cards for me. I came home and told Josh, "let's have our own kids" and so we did. Now, this does not mean that I don't like teaching. I do. I like working with children and seeing them progress. But I like doing it one on one. 

Piano teaching was wonderful. They would play, I would help, they would play some more. Sometimes I would play something for them and they would play some more. The focus was on the playing, not on paying attention to me. 

 I'll still sub. I like it. But, man, what a realization!


This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Joanie said…
Megan...I understand completely. I love private one on one tutoring. The self contained classroom method of teaching is even more difficult these days because more kids have ADD or ADHD. I have seen you teach a class full of kids..you have a good strong voice and the look and sound of a very good teacher. If one's mission is to reach a lot of children, classroom teaching is great. A teacher has to be the authority figure so in that way she is the center of attention. 1st year teaching is the hardest. So much to get used to. So glad you are subbing and sharing your sweet spirit with so many!