Manic Mommy


Our new Betta fish- Bob

I'm at home again- sick with a sore throat- so I thought i would write a little about Mania. More specifically, about Manic Mommies. There's a podcast that i found called Manic Mommies. I listened to it for a while there while I would run on the treadmill. Mostly it was two women chatting about how busy they are and how much they do as moms. they weren't really manic, but I'm sure a lot of Moms feel the same way: sometimes overwhelmed with all they have to do in one day: making lunches, changing bed sheets, volunteering at school, putting kids down for naps, supervising homework and play-dates, dinner, etc. It seems like you could be manic, but mania is a little different.

I woke up on Monday morning, feeling quite "energetic"- the nice term I use for mania. I felt driven. Driven to get up and go, there was nothing that could stop me. I went for a run with Sadie, made smoothies for breakfast, ran to Wal-mart to get a bookshelf, Barnes N Noble, Sams Club for my weekly grocery run, came home and unloaded it all. Now, this can be done without being "energetic" but when you are energetic, you feel like there's not enough time to get things done and you hurry through all of your tasks in a rush. You also feel like there is a "magic" something out there that you can buy- an organizer, a face wash, a new yogurt- that will make your life better and simply amazing. You feel a compulsion to buy. Buy something. Anything! I try to resist.

The day went on like that with me going and going. Monday night we went to our class and I was more than willing to volunteer for an activity, even though I normally don't. Now, this is all fine and good. My therapist in Maryland says to enjoy being manic- just don't spend lots and lots of money or do things I shouldn't do.

In the middle of the class, I got sick and we had to leave. On Tuesday, even though I was recovering from the stomach flu, I still felt energetic. I could feel it. I couldn't do much, since I was sick, but I went online, read lots of materials and my mind was going fast.

On Wednesday morning I woke up completely fine. I could tell. The feeling of compulsion to do more and to be more left. It was amazing. I went about having a mostly normal day. It was amazing.

-Stephenie Nielsen's book Heaven is Here is amazing! I loved it! She recorded the audio version of it, so you can, check it out!

-Kindles are the way to go! You can download books for free from Amazon Prime. Now, I just need to wait until Christmas to get one! ;)

-Mother's Day is coming up and I may or may not have bought myself something already (I mentioned I was energetic, right?)

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

If you're interested in a Kindle, Washington Federal Savings is doing a promotion right now that if you open a checking account, you get a free Kindle. I don't usually pass this kind of thing on, but Ryan works for the bank. http://www.washingtonfederal.com/Personal-Banking/Checking/Kindle-Promotion-Page.aspx
Unknown said…
Shay wants a blue Betta fish for her bday (She has wanted it since last year so is getting one this year!) I downloaded Heaven is Here and look forward to listening to it - after my current book is done. Hope you feel better soon!