The Bloody Nose Series


My "Triplets"- I get that a lot. Do you love how Elizabeth is cropped out of this picture?

First of all, to set the stage, I need to tell you that my boys get bloody noses. A lot. Once or twice a month. Ok. So maybe not a whole lot, but more than is comfortable for me since blood makes me squeamish. Quite squeamish. In College, during my Child Development class, they said they were going to show a film of a natural childbirth and then a c-section childbirth. I hightailed it outta there before they could even start the film. And I was in the second row too! There was no way I was going to lose my lunch all for the sake of some education!

Along came my twin boys and they bled all the time as toddlers. They were always running around, bumping into things, into each other, the wall, etc. Once someone got hurt, the first thing I would do was rush over and check to see if there was any blood. I would say "Are you bleeding?" and check their nose carefully. Half the time they were. And they would bleed at night too. Often.

So bloody noses may not be a great topic, but I just have one complaint. Last night I had the darndest time going to sleep. I had heartburn (who gets heartburn when they are not pregnant??? me!) and I just couldn't get comfortable. I had been asleep for only a few hours and was just completely asleep when I hear "Moommm..." It's coming from the boys room but I have no idea who it is. I think to myself- "What in the world? What does he want?? Does he know what time it is? There's no way I am getting up right now."

Then it comes again "Moommm..." Me: "OK. It's either Jonah or Asher. What the heck? I seriously cannot wake up." "Moommm..." softly, tired, confused. I get up. "Moommm..." I go into their room. It's Asher. "Mom, Ethan has a bloody nose." And there is Ethan- dripping blood all over his hands, his pajamas, his dark pillow case (very convenient). I get it to stop after ten minutes- and more details that would gross me out if I typed them. As I leave them for the night, tucked in and clean and one reading a fantasy chapter book, I say "Next time, just say "Blood!" and I'll come running!" Cause really, there is nothing worse than a bloody nose at night. Ok. So, maybe there is.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

ps- Note to self- If you update your 72 hr. kit during General Conference and notice that the meds you had in there were expired, it's not a good idea to use them. Just sayin'.

Comments

Unknown said…
I know I asked you before but what does the dr say about those noses!? There is nothing else you can do?