More on fostering

As I filled out the paperwork for our certification to adopt/do foster care, I noticed something. Yes, there were the spots where you filled in your name, your birth date, your previous addresses and whether of not you have been convicted of a felon (I haven't). There were also pages and pages of thought provoking questions as well: "Describe why you are considering parenting a child other than your own at this time." It gave me a meager space of two inches.

How could I fit the description of the whole process that lead us to where we are today into one small space? Where would I explain the disappointment that lead to promptings to do something different, something we never planned of or thought of before but are now finding joy in it's journey?

I skipped that statement and moved on to simpler ones "Do you have any concerns about parenting a child other than your own at this time? (no) And later, after my brain could take no more and was requesting a rest, I realized that it wasn't just for them that they were asking these questions. It was for us too. Josh has to fill out the same exact questions. It was to help us see whether we really, really wanted to do this. Are we really, really ready? And as I put my pen down, I knew that we are.


This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

ps- My take on Hunger Games? Loved the books, loved, loved the movie- even if it did give me nightmares.

Comments

Jen said…
I think they also give you that paperwork to fill out just to get you used to paperwork, of which there is apparantly tons whenever you get near a state program like foster care.