Building Temples



We live 15 minutes away from the Mesa, Arizona temple. It is a gorgeous temple and the one where my immediate family began on May 29, 1976. I love that Temple.

But, I also have a NEW love- the Gilbert, Arizona temple to be dedicated in 2013. We live about 15 minutes from this currently-being-built Temple and have gone to the site a few times to see it's progress. At first there were just metal bars- rebar- jutting out from the ground. They are huge- the size of your arm- enough to support such a big structure. There is a observation deck where you can go and check things out and also a missionary couple in a trailer filled with tidbits of the Temple's construction- a sample of the stained glass used here, a piece of marble there. Amazing.

The concrete alone used in the foundation of the Temple could build 1,000 homes. Wow. I took the kids there the other day. Partly to get out of the house (our house often seems cramped on Sunday afternoons) and partly to take pictures of them with the before version of this Temple. While there, I mentioned to Elizabeth that she could be married there some day. She replied "I know, Mom!" in kind of a frustrated, are you telling me this again? kind of way. (Can teenage angst come this early?)

The whole trip just reminded me again- I love to see the temple!

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

CommonMama said…
Wow that is cool. I wish we lived that close to temples. It would be so neat to show the kids how a temple is constructed step by step. There would be so many great teaching moments.