Photography



Not a good exposure!


OK (Our class shoot with a model.)

As some of you know, I have a few favorite blogs I read daily. You know that I read them because I often refer to something that they said that inspired me, touched me or I thought was clever. I'm often like "you know- Nie Nie is expecting a girl right? And she has this adorable necklace that shows 2 pink little baby feet. I love it!"

Or "You know the blog I read 71 toes- Shawnie- she talked today about how you should teach your young women to spend a little time in the morning to look nice and then go out thinking about how to serve others. I love that.

Well, a month ago Stephenie Nielson advertized a free photo shoot in Mesa right near my house. I really wanted to go but never signed up. Last week she advertised another one and I signed up right away! I spent a couple of hours last Saturday learning about aperture, ISO, exposure and then putting those to practice in a photo shoot with a model. I had a really fun time and learned that I am DEFINITELY a hands-on learner rather than learning from reading ( I have a book on exposure but I have yet to get past the half way point). I learned that being a good photographer means taking a lot of pictures and getting a few good ones. Also, when someone is modeling for you, show them the picture on your camera. They will see they look good and brighten up! Everyone wants to look good! Everyone wants to look at least 10 lbs lighter in front of the camera- even our model who was about a size 2.

Here some of the things we learned:

Aperature is the same as f-stop. It is the size of the opening of your lens. The bigger the f-stop, the smaller the opening. Your camera can go from 1.8 (mine starts at 3.1) which is about like this O to 2.8 which is 0 and then 5.6 o up to 22 or 29 (zoomed out).

Boken -the pictures with a blurry background have a low f-stop and a big lens opening with a short depth of field. It only takes in what is in the foreground and leaves the rest blurry. F stop 4 is good for portraits because you need a bigger depth of field.

Shutterspeed controls how much light is coming in by how fast it opens. This is the exposure. Fast is 1/500 of a sec and it shows up on your camera display. 1/250 is half that speed. 1/60 and then slower is 1" second, 2" and 3"- very, very slow. Your can feel your camera pause. Bulb leaves the lens open as long as your finger is on it. Streaky lines in a pictures is a slow shutter speed. Tripods help with camera shake that happens with 1/60 or lower. You can prop up your camera on your knee or lean against a wall.

1/125th shooting still people

1/320 little kids who move fast

1/500 big kids
Ok. I'm tired. I learned more just retyping my notes now than just writing them in the class. Next up, ISO.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott



Comments