I love Pizza!



I love Pizza! Invariably, when someone asks what my favorite food is I say "PIZZA!" At first it was because that's what I had always said ever since I was 7 years old. Now, it is because it truly is my favorite food. Of ALL time! Here are my top TEN favorite Pizzas- not in order.

#1.My Mom's Homemade Pizza. My Mom would make her own pizza, in two round metal pans, with self-raising dough that would take an hour to rise. It would take a long time to make, but whenever I saw that big metal bowl out on the counter with a towel on top- I knew we were either having cinnamon rolls (yum!) or pizza and either way, I was in HEAVEN!

#2. Giovannis. In Santa Barbara. Pure Heaven. Picture this- a family of nine- 2 parents plus 7 hungry kids who only ever went out to eat at McDonalds (can you believe it?) or Taco Bell, plus a kind and generous Aunt and Uncle who have adopted us as their own, walk into a California Pizzeria. The smell? Pure heaven. The sound? Pans clanking, people chattering, music blaring- delicious! The taste? Warm pizza, made all the better by waiting and waiting at the long wooden tables, cool refreshing mugs of Root Beer and Red Pepper Flakes to sprinkle on top. I'm telling you, there must be a Giovannis in Heaven. It's a must!

#3. Pizza made from $1.99 Trader Joe Refrigerated Pizza Dough, in white or wheat, topped with grilled chicken and tomato. Yum!

#4. The Macaroni and Cheese topped pizza from Cici's pizza. Now, Cici's is one of those all you can eat pizza places, complete with breadsticks and cinnamon rolls made from the same pizza dough. You know what I'm talking about. But, their pizza with the swirly pasta on top plus cheese? Pure Heaven. I could eat a plate piled high with that! I could order a whole one for take out! Wait- maybe I should!

#5. My own homemade pizza. With a 5 minute crust recipe, this pizza is delish! I usually make this in my thick lipped cookie sheet because I like a thick crust. I do half pepperoni and half bar-b-que chicken sometimes and we love it! We also do a stuffed crust version which is even better. Cheese, in the crust? Yes, please!

#6. Little Ceasers. Little Ceasers and I met in my hometown of Victorville, CA. My Mom would stop off for a few pizzas and maybe an order of breadsticks or two. Sometimes she would get breadsticks just for the fun of it. Oh, how I LOVED that!
Just recently Little Ceasers has come to the town we live in. I was thrilled and we took advantage right away! Since then, we mostly do our own, because I've realized it's better. More work. But, better.

#7. Pizza a la New York. Now, let me tell you, when we drove into New York it was 9 o'clock at night. I had just been on a cramped bus for four hours and was hungry and tired. I was so tired that the next day I couldn't really remember the pizza we ate off the street that night. I remember now. And I want to go back. Just for the pizza!

#8. Brick Oven. Provo, Utah. Need I say more? Having spent a good 8 or 9 years of my life in Provo, I have to say that I LOVE Brick Oven Pizza. Thick. Fresh. The scent hits you when you open the door. And their pasta bar? Don't even get me started!

#9. Papa John's. The kind you get with a little jalapeno on the side? And garlic butter to dip your slice in? Yum!

And last but not least #10. Pizza Hut. Personal Pan Pizza. Who would have thought that such a little round thing, covered in sauce and cheese and grease could make such romantic gestures to my hungry stomach. I will not forget you, my personal pepperoni. Oh, no, I won't!

And to top off this long blog post, I will reveal a secret from my childhood. I once ate so much pizza that I threw up. My Mom came home with 2 pizzas from Little Ceasers and even though I had already eaten, I was not willing to give up the chance to eat pizza. At any time. At any place. And now you know way too much about me and my love for pizza.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Joanie said…
I loved this post! I did not know you threw up that time. Sorry. I wish we still had Little Caesar's by target like we used to...now it is a 20 minute (at least) ride away! Now I am hungry for pizza! I never will forget how you whipped up a pizza for us in Maryland in the time it would have taken to call up and order one to be delivered! You are so cool...and you are my daugher! How lucky I am! Love, You Momma
Amy said…
I loved this post, too. I love pizza and smell it all the time, since we live over a pizza shop. Their pizzas are $50 for a large, though. I forgot about Giovanni's--it was so so good. And Mom's pizza...yum. And I still use your crust recipe. I made pizza for dinner last night, otherwise I would make one tonight!
Yummy! I love pizza too! Not long ago we lived just down the street from a Little Caesars with a drive through. We were in big trouble! I think you need to share your crust recipe!