Growing Up

I walked the baby aisles at Target yesterday, gift registry in hand, looking for that perfect present. You see, my friend is going to have a baby. A baby girl. And I am thrilled.

And sad. And depressed.

Asher left me alone to look at the "boy things" in the next aisle over- the aisle full of baseballs and t-balls and bikes.

I know that aisle. I've been there a lot these past two years.

I've been trying to get to the baby aisle. These past 3.5 years now.

Normally, I'm completely fine with it. Well, at least pretty much.

But, Mother's Day came and with it the realization that my kids are growing up.

There were no little toddlers to climb up on my lap and knock over my breakfast tray when the kids brought me breakfast. There were no diapers to change, no soft chubby baby rolls to wash.

And my Mother heart yearned for another one. Any one. A skinny one, a chubby one, one that looks completely different from all my other ones. Any one.

And when I mentioned it to Josh at our picnic lunch, while the kids were off exploring in the grassy fields, over left-over crusts and squished Capri Suns he said he knew what I meant. He understood.

And so, at the Target Baby Aisle, trying to decide between the pink fluffy bath towel and the soft little shoes, it was too much, much too much for my one Mother Heart.

And I walked away.

And came back.

To the soaps and lotions, because those- those I could buy.

And I picked up some bubble bath, seeing in my mind's eye my six year old twins' laughter, and I left, hope for the future growing like a soft dandelion among the weeds of my sadness.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

DC Diva said…
Hi Megan! This is a beautiful post. I'm sorry your heart is aching. I have some lavender bath salts I want to give you. Consider it a parting gift my Activity Days friend. ;)
Jen said…
I know what you mean. The Mother's Day that came the week after the miscarriage was rough, and so was the due date. But Mother's Day and baby blessings are pretty much okay now, and mostly I just don't think about it. But I still like to look at the cribs and car seats and hooded bath towels.
Joanie said…
Your post made me cry, sweetheart.
Time will tell if there truly is another infant (or 2 or 3)meant for your arms. Meanwhile, yes, enjoy the special ages of your children now...for they grow up way too fast.
Love you so much...Mom