General Conference Sunday


I've been reading the May Ensign with the General Conference Talks in it a lot lately. This morning I read Elder D. Todd Christofferson's talk entitled "As Many as I Love, I Rebuke and Chasten". I love Elder Christofferson. His son was in my mission in Spain and he was just like a mini Apostle. He spoke low and deep and was so humble.

In his talk, Elder Christofferson tells a story about a currant bush. The bush had grown up to be six feet tall and had no berries on it. The gardener (President Hugh B. Brown) saw this and pruned it back drastically, leaving only stumps. President Brown noted a small, tear like drop on each of the stumps, as if the bush was saying to him " 'How can you do this to me? I was making such wonderful growth...And now you have cut me down. Every plant in the garden will look down on me...How could you do this to me? I thought you were the gardener here.' "

Someone mentioned this story on their blog post as well and I completely, entirely agree.

Sometimes I feel like this little currant bush. I tell my Heavenly Father: "What have you done to me? I was doing so well. I got married and had four kids. With twins! And then I got sick. And had no more kids for five years. Oh, how I wanted more. I thought what I was doing was good."

I wanted to have 7 kids. 2 years apart. I had it all planned out. We all know how plans can change!

And now I know about adoption. How sweet it is. How wonderful it can be. How miraculous. How divine. I've learned so much. And I haven't even adopted or begun the process yet.

And I am thankful to the Gardener. For His love. For His tenderness. And His mercy.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments