What if...


Jonah, making fabulous flubber out of borax and glue

Late Sunday afternoon, the kids and I were driving in the car, on our way to ward choir, when the car sputtered and shook. We're out of gas, I calmly proclaimed as I steered onto the side of a busy-but-not-too-busy street. I had an inkling that this would happen. It had been on empty on Friday- maybe even Thursday and I kept meaning to get gas. You know, that well intentioned kind of meaning to. Friday came and went, Saturday came and went. Sunday morning with Church came and went and as I pulled out of the garage Sunday afternoon, I wondered:just how long am I going to put off this getting gas thing? Too long, I guess.

We made it within a few blocks of the Church House. A call to Josh, arousing him from his nap, led us to a gas can- filled twice- and on to choir. Meanwhile, to pass the time, we played "What if..."

"What if" the four-six-eight year old version goes something like this "What if you could only eat one dessert a day. What would it be?" And their answers were hilarious. Enough to keep my mind off the careening cars on the side of me- or almost. (a chocolate bar, ice cream, shakes w/ mix ins)

We continued at the dinner table and I'll share just a few:

"What if you were on a desert island and could only take one friend?"

Jonah: I would take Ethan.

Sweet

Elizabeth: I would take Heavenly Father and Jesus

Awe

Ethan: I would take a sick person

Huh? (to care for, I guess)

"What if you had one day to yourself and you could do anything you wanted. Money is no object." (this one came from Josh)

Elizabeth: I would read.

Smart

Jonah: I would play with toys or something like that.

Fun

Ethan: I would destroy/wreck the house.

Huh? I guess he just likes knocking things down.

Oh, and my answer? I would go shopping.

Josh said What if everything was back to the way it was before the next day.

I would still go shopping. I need to find a new hobby. Stat.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Fox and Amy said…
That's great, Meg! Your kids are so cute! And I've heard you can go for miles on E--how many miles do you think you went? Love ya!
Douglas Smith said…
Cute story! :-) BTW Sheelah and I love the paintings from Elizabeth, Jonah, Ethan, and Asher!!! Give them all hugs from us! We miss all the little Abbotts! And the big ones too.
Josh said…
Amy, I calculated about 17 miles- to school and back, to the store, to a friend's house, to t-ball and to Church.