Reading Groups


homemade chocolate covered peeps! yum!

When I was younger and in grade school we were put into reading groups with names like "minnow" or "guppy" or "shark". The "Shark" group was always made up of the best readers. You always wanted to be a "shark" and hated being a "minnow" or a "guppy".

Now a days, everything has to be pc, and maybe that's a good thing. The students are called by names into their reading groups or their reading groups are the "red" group or the "blue" group.

The other day, when I was volunteering in Elizabeth's class and her teacher Mrs. D asked for all of the "Cinnamon Lattes" to come to her table.

For a moment I was confused and then as I looked on the board and saw "Mochalattes" and "Gingerbread snaps" I knew what was going on. This Harley-riding, Tattoo-wearing, blonde mother of one, teacher to 2nd graders, had kicked the traditional system out the window and had made up her own names for her reading groups.

If I were a teacher again my reading groups would be called "chocolate covered peeps". Have you tried them? You can buy them for a dollar each at Walmart or you can just pour melted chocolate over normal ones and make your own. I tried it. Delicious!Although they were so sweet I won't be able to eat another one until Easter. Probably. Oh, and maybe I would also use "cadbury eggs", "jelly beans" and "peanut butter cups". Yum!

Oh, and the kids all still know which group has the best readers. Just ask Elizabeth.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Boo said…
That's hilarious! I also like your ideas for reading groups. Chocolate covered peeps, hm... I might actually like peeps again.