Elizabeth


Elizabeth and I got in a fight last night. And this morning. Wow. Who knew 8 year old girls would want to argue and argue? I was calm and collected--okay maybe not so much, but I didn't yell!-- but she did not like anything I said.

Because Elizabeth is 8, we let her stay up half an hour more than the boys and one of us takes turns reading The Friend magazine with her or just talking. Josh was pulling a late night last night (and may do so today), so it was up to me to stay up with her. After the smallish fight, I really didn't want to. But I did. And that helped. We read, talked and I gave her a hand massage. She had a few questions and then even more, but it was time for bed. I told her to ask me later.

When I went in my room later that night I found her journal laying on my bed, open with questions on it for me to answer. Questions like:

"Why do we shock? (they were shocking each other from the static on the couch earlier that evening)"

"How does a printer make colors?"

"How do we sleep?"

I discussed the questions and answers with Josh and opted to leave the protons and neutrons out of the whole static thing, then I responded. What a scientist we have on our hands! She must take after Josh because the highest science I studied was High School Physics and College Biology.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

p.s. thank you to the dear heart who sent us an advent calendar and cookies in the mail. "Open and enjoy right now" was what we truly needed right then!!!

Comments

Fox and Amy said…
That Elizabeth is a smartie--wow! So what was your fight about? And also, I want to know the answers to those questions, too, so can you post them? :) Love ya!