Donate Milk


Ethan and Jonah on their blessing day, Sept. 2004, 4 months old

I was 34 1/2 weeks pregnant with twin boys when I suddenly went into labor one Sunday afternoon. We were sure they weren't coming yet and made a quick stop by the hospital to get something to stop the contractions, taking our 20 month old daughter with us.

They checked me and I was dilated to a 6. No going back.

We were hopeful that the boys could come home with us- they were 5 lbs each at the time.

When they came out, both were blue and were shown quickly to me and then whisked away.

They had twin-to-twin transfusion.

Jonah had cardio myopathy and was put on many different machines.

Ethan needed a blood transfusion.

I couldn't hold them for three days.

I drove to the hospital each day for five weeks to visit them, talk to them and eventually feed and nurse them.

Between that time, I pumped using the hospital grade pumps available at the Hospital and one that we rented at home.

I woke up every 3 hours to pump and then woke up enough to put the milk in the fridge.

One time, I fell asleep, only to awaken with the pump still on and my shirt soaked in milk.

I produced so much milk and the boys were only eating 2-4 ounces a day. A day.

I threw a lot of the milk away. I had heard that I could donate my milk, but I was so busy going from home to the hospital and back- pumping and pumping, that I never found out more about it. We didn't have internet in our small 2 bedroom apartment and I barely made it to the library to send out e-mail updates of the twins.

Today I know I could have mailed in my milk. You can even pump and mail in any extra if you are nursing a normal baby. The milk sells for a lot. It's worth a lot.

I wish I would have known about this site six years ago. I could have donated SO much.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

ps. Next baby we have, I will not be able to nurse. I will have to be on lithium- which you cannot nurse with. I am so sad.

Comments