Sunday Planning

Sunday I broke out my personal binder.
The one with my goals,
my inspiring quotes,
my home decor cutouts
and my financial goals/wishlist
(one of them includes to own a Mazda Miata by the time I'm 50).
It also includes a Personal Mission Statement.

Way back in 2006 I took a class at UVSC on Steven Covey's 12 Principles of Highly Effective People. I had to drop the class because it cost way too much, but before I did I wrote a personal mission statement. I love it and it inspires me to do good and improve. This is what it looks like:



Learning, Living, Loving
My Mission

I want to live a life of learning, living and loving. In order to do this fully I must live up to these standards:

Learning: I must:
Keep my mind busy and focused, by reading often and taking classes.
Keep my heart open to the will of the Lord, through humility.
Maintain vision, passion and organization in all of my work.
Play the piano, write poetry and blog daily or whenever I’m inspired.

Living: I must:
Keep my home peaceful, happy, clean and neat.
Keep my body healthy through healthy exercise and eating well.
Be neat and clean in my appearance.
Work on living life to the fullest by driving a Mazda Miata and
traveling abroad.
Manage our household finances to run our home and life smoothly.

Loving: I must:
I will try to act as Jesus would act in all that I think, do and say.
Love my husband as much as I love my Savior.
Spend fun, happy time with my children every day.
Maintain contact with friends and family weekly.
Focus on principles of love, unselfishness and service.

“Whate’er thou art, act well thy part.”
“Have I seen the hand of God reaching out and touching my life today?’ Eyring
“There will come a time when only those who believe strongly in and work hard for families will have them closely around them.” Spencer W. Kimball 1980

Notice there is nothing in there about I must envy and covet other's homes, children or situations in life. I need to work on that. No coveting crown modeling, extremely sparkly 3 carat rings or triplets. Heavenly Father knows what I want and need and more importantly, how much I can handle. And that's enough for me.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Missa said…
Inspirational goals. Thank you, Megan.
Fox and Amy said…
Meg, I loved this post! I love your mission statement, and the quotes are wonderful. Giggle on the coveting triplets! You are awesome! Love ya!