Making some Halloween



We made baby ghosts with salt dough from familyfun.com. The kids loved it! Elizabeth made hers into a girl ghost, although no picture was taken. I even had to run to the store for more salt to make a second batch so the boys could use the Halloween cookie cutters and make some bats. Scary!



Jonah really, really wanted to paint his pumpkin. He chose a white one this year and it seemed destined to be painted instead of carved. I asked him if he wanted to paint it or carve it. He said both. I said "You can pick one." "Paint it." he replied after some hesitation. It turned out really cute!



Here's Asher painting something. That boy loves to paint.

There are 3 things that will guarantee squashing an uprising tantrum for this kid.

1. gum. He will always take a piece- or a half a piece I should say- and become happy. This comes from the kid who had a binky until he was 3 1/2. Yep, 3 1/2. He is so orally stimulated. I won't be doing that again though!

2. TV. I don't let the kids watch a ton of tv and we don't have cable so when I say "You want to watch a show?" He forgets about what he was going to throw a tantrum about (taking off his green Transformer shirt, eating something I want him to eat besides cereal, etc.) and goes right to the tv. I know, I shouldn't do it- but it's ok, once and a while!

3. Painting. Again, we don't paint a lot (I think it's because of the mess) so if I merely mention the word "paint" Asher is up and running, ready to sit and create! I love that boy! He makes my world go round and when I mope for another baby (2011?), I remember him and his joy for life.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Douglas Smith said…
What an artistic family you have!

When I was that age, I couldn’t sit still long enough to do anything remotely artistic.

Thanks for the post. :-)