The case of the missing ring


Josh, me and our four kids- almost nine years later!

Nine years ago, in 2001, I had been off my mission for about ten months and was seriously dating a wonderful guy named Joshua Abbott. Ok, so yes, I did marry him, but pretend you don't know that yet. Josh had a roommate named Court and one day Court came into my apartment to visit with us and show us the ring he had just gotten for his girlfriend.

These were the college days and everyone was getting married left and right (especially at BYU) so we were not surprised to find out that Court was planning to propose. He showed us the ring and right away I said "I love it!' The funny thing about that ring was that it was a $9 fake diamond ring he had bought at Wal-mart. I guess he didn't really know what she wanted, so he got a place holder ring.

As it turned out, they got engaged and then broke it off and the ring was returned. Josh had finally decided to propose (after 4 months!) and asked his roomie for the ring as he had remembered I liked it.

On June 1, 2010, he took me up to Rock Canyon Park and after eating sandwiches from Gandolfos on a blanket, we took a walk, he sang "Lead, Kindly Light" and proposed. I was shocked and said "Are you serious?" Instead of "Yes!!!" and he pulled out and dropped said ring. Then gave it to me. I was thrilled!

We happily picked out a different, less gaudy ring later that week but I happily wore it for a month until the ring that we picked out came in. It may not be the best idea to give one a fake diamond ring because those diamonds are always so much bigger than real one.

I've carried that ring with me through five moves and almost nine years of marriage. This morning I woke up and got ready for my early morning run. I opened my jewelry box to just say hello to it like I occasionally do and it was gone! I woke up Josh, I bawled, I blamed the kids, the men who recently refinished our floors and the man who re-did our tile. Who was the culprit? The kids say they don't know where it is. I believe them. That leaves three other culprits and I'm just sad to think they would stoop to the level of stealing a fake diamond ring. Won't they be sad when they find out it's fake. And maybe out of a job. Because I'm calling and reporting them man. Because you just can't do that to a girl!

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments