Is that a boy or a girl?




In between taking my kids to have a letter in Spanish edited and driving Elizabeth to piano lessons, we made a quick stop at McDonalds. Let me preface this story with the fact that we hardly EVER go to McDonalds. Josh hates it. I love it. I don't know why. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones that are still circulating around in my body. It must be. I only crave McDonalds when I'm pregnant. When I'm not, I'll eat it and think "gross!" When I am, I eat it and think "I have died and gone to heaven!" Seriously!

So, we drive up and order 3 hamburgers, 1 cheesburger, 1 double cheeseburger (for me), fries and a water. From a man.
We get to the window and...it's a girl! Long hair, lots of make-up, tons of jewelry!

He/She says in a deep voice "That will be $6.75 please."

The kids are yelling in the back: "Is that a boy or a girl?"

I try to ignore them.

Elizabeth: "Mom, is that a boy or a girl?" (very slowly)

Me: "I don't know!"

Elizabeth: "Um, is that a boy or a girl?" Her whole world is being rocked to the core.

My whole world is being rocked to the core.

Me (after we drive past the window): "It's a boy."

The mini-van at McDonalds at 5:03 pm on a Tuesday evening: SILENT.

That was their lesson today on how strange the world can be. And that was my lesson on which McDonalds not to go to at 5 pm on a Tuesday evening.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Amber said…
That is so funny! I can totally picture it! all those little voices loudly asking you, as you were trying not to let he/she hear the discussion! Lol!
Saimi said…
Ha! That's hilarious!!

I would have let my kids ask the person in question themself. "Uh excuse me Mr./Miss are you a boy or a girl?"

Inquiry minds want to know! HA!

Stopping by from MMB