Project

Elizabeth brought home a project on African Americans this afternoon. On it were a list of thirty African Americans that she could choose from to do a report. I looked at it and mentioned some ones that I liked - Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Maya Angelou, Bill Cosby, etc. She looked at it and picked a random name and Tiger Woods. What am I supposed to say to that? I let her write them down. Then I said "Actually Tiger Woods did some things that were wrong. Let's look at the list again for a different one." She replied "What kind of wrong things?" I didn't know what to say... Turns out her friend wanted to do Tiger Woods and she wanted to do the same one as her friend. Well, at least she's very excited about it! What do you think? Would it be fine to let her study about whomever she wants to?

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

ABSOLUTELY....use it as an opportunity to show her how we are SUPPOSED to live and how, when we choose not to follow the plan God has laid out for us, things can be tough.
Isn't it funny, though, how kids are drawn to things like that?! I try not to shy away from the learning experience it can provide...
:D
Douglas Smith said…
Hey Megan! I agree with twin power mommy. Not that I know anything about raising kids. ;-)
Joanie said…
Uhhh....Thomas Jefferson fathered
a child with one of his slave gals...but he still did wonderful things for our country. Tiger Woods is a historice figure in sports...and it is worth knowing about how he grew up and how he got to be so darn good! Elizabeth is old enough to start to learn about sin.
Joanie said…
This is me again..The teacher could have left Tiger Woods out of the list.
How about George Washington Carver
who invented many uses for peanuts..and Aunt Clara Brown..who became rich in Colorado gold rush.