The sickness saga continues

Last night Josh slept in "Grandma's Room" (our extra room which Grandma was the very first guest to stay in). We moved our King bed into there because it was way too big and cold for me to sleep comfortably in. I've been waking up every night for the past three nights with a cold (even after taking Unisom) and proceed to wake up Josh either for a blessing (twice) or complain. Josh quoted Brigham Young in saying that even though you get a blessing, if you don't take medicine for what you have, you are not being very smart. That being said I bought some Nyquil last night but couldn't find it. This morning I found it, behind the curtains in the kitchen. Aaah! You see, I was raised by a Mother and Father who believe strongly in natural remedies and not the use of medicine. My Grandfather (my Dad's Dad) still feels that certain medicines are evil and should be avoided at all costs. So it's been a struggle all my life to use even basic things like Tylenol or Advil. Even for my kids. It's very sad, but I'm grateful for good examples in my life like Marrisse- who is not afraid to use medicine and uses it often from her very organized closet, MaryRuth- who gives her kids medicine to fall asleep on long car drives (great idea by the way!) and Mom Abbott, who says if they're crying and nothing else works- give them tylenol!

Poor Josh has lost so much sleep this past week that he has been grumpy and touchy and easy to fly off the handle (you know- Josh- the one who always flies off the handle!) Just kidding! Josh is so easy going that when he flies off the handle, that is a good indication that there is something majorly wrong. When asked how he slept last night, he replied "Wonderfully!" Good thing you miss me so much in bed, babe! Just kidding!

Anyways. This morning we were doing stretches at the Wee Bitty Sports class- our very first class- at the Germantown Community Center. We missed the first class, the second class got snowed out and it took a lot of effort and nerve for me to even go to something sportsy and boy-ish and far away in a different city such as Germantown. Now, Germantown is not very far away, but whenever I have to drive more than ten minutes to get somewhere and cross a major freeway, I count that as far. Our Stake Center is there- which my Uncle Craig- who just got called as the Bishop of our ward- will probably have to go to more often now. (Congrats Craig- we are so happy for you and are pleased to call you Bishop Abbott. You will be in our prayers for support these next five years or so. It's fun to think he will probably interview Elizabeth and the boys for their baptisms!)

Anyways. As we were stretching I notice red bumps all over Ethan's leg. Then, I notice them all over his other leg- and as I look, my fear increases by the minute, and I see red bumps on his back and on his arms. I quickly say something about Chicken Pox, gather Jonah and Asher and Ethan, sign the attendance form and leave, along with madly calling Josh and Uncle Craig for the Doctors phone number since it's not programmed in my new phone. What good is a cool touch camera phone if it doesn't have your phone numbers or you don't know how to. I think it's an allergic to the amoxiciallan he's taking for his ear infection.

A friend just came by. I have to go. This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Ellen said…
Anna had a reaction to amoxicillan. They were more like spots, not really bumps. What did the doctor say?

You got a cool new phone? How do you like the touch screen?
Boo said…
For the record, I started dosing my kids when Benjamin vomited twice on a 5-hour car trip. Apparently he's prone to motion sickness. The sleeping part is just an added bonus.
-MaryRuth