White Sugar- Not so good after all


I come from a family that likes to eat healthy. Two of my sisters are vegetarians. All four of my sisters avoid white sugar and love to bake with whole wheat flour. My Dad has beat out cancer using healthy ways to take care of his body. My Mom is a pro at finding good food and cooking it so that it's wonderful to eat (see www.letusthankhimforourfood.blogspot.com). Up until this point of my life, I have been somewhat wary of their take on food. What's the big idea? So what if I have a little white sugar now and then. No big deal, right?

It turns out that, yes- it is a big deal. It's okay to have a little sugar once in a while, but having it for breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks inbetween is not that great. I did a short search on the internet after seeing an ad in my local newspaper for a class on "the sugar blues". (You can take a class on how to beat the sugar blues for only $49.00!) It turns out that sugar really does have debilitating effects. About six months ago I stopped being careful with what I eat, including sugar. I could go into detail about how I did this. But, I won't. Needless to say, I am now thirty pounds heavier, and have experienced leg cramps, muscle cramps, anxiety, a lot of anxiety, depression, laziness, moodiness, etc. I would even go so far as to say that I have been spiritually weakened.

So, to conclude, I hope to reform my bad eating habits, and gain my health back in return. We live five minutes from a Trader Joe's and that will be where I will be replacing all of my sugar loaded food stuffs with healthier alternatives. I would encourage you to do the same. After you save at least one dark chocolate, mint Milky Way for that special, special occasion!

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

p.s. Here is the site where I gained some new knowledge and wisdom: http://www.rheumatic.org/sugar.htm. Also check out http://www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp for a Trader Joe's in your neighborhood!

Comments

Dave said…
Hey Meg! Good sleuthing on the health issues with sugar! Good luck!
Unknown said…
You have seen the light - join us (: It DOES feel good to eat healthy - let me know if you need any good recipes! Remember it is not just what you cut out (sugar, white flour, etc), but what you put in your body that counts too (fruits and vegies and healthy grains!)
Joanie said…
Megan- it is so true, your body and mind and spirit are your soul- they are all combined- all one!doing whats right for all of them is wonderful! Big point- make sure you enjoy everything your changing, you have to enjoy it- this is so good for you, plus there are tons of healthy sneaky recipes out there! -kelsy
Joanie said…
Hi Meg..this is the real Joanie (MOM)I say: Good for you!
I know you will have the discipline to go more sugar free. You will feel better,too. Try my yogurt, chopped apple, chopped celery, raisin, walnut bowl! You'll feel so good!You will discover your own favorite recipes, too.
Dad likes the 1.99 sugar free dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe's.
Rachel said…
Hi..well, it's pretty simple. sugar has a lot of calories and calories cause you to gain weight. I am sensitive to sugar, makes me crabby and headaches.