Sleeping and such

So, the boys have decided once again to refuse to take afternoon naps. We go upstairs, I read books to all four kids and then leave to put Asher and Elizabeth down (Elizabeth just reads- no naps). Then, when I come back to the boys they go running and screaming to their beds. How am I supposed to help them sleep when they are like that?

Yesterday, I rocked Jonah so that I would break up the twosome, but then Ethan wanted in and I was sitting there, rocking almost four year old twin boys. For a half an hour. I put Jonah down and he fell asleep and then Ethan slept in my arms. Today started the same. I rocked both, then put them down and then rocked both. Jonah got so mad he pulled my hair. He is one passive aggressive kid! I put him down and he fell asleep right away.

That's it. They are almost four. No rocking to sleep at nap time. No pull ups for Ethan starting Monday. I am drawing the line right there. That's my boundary and I'm sticking to it.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Laura said…
Good for you! They CAN do it, so just be tough! Sam stopped taking naps around four too, but towards the end I had to stay in there with him or else he wouldn't sleep (which was fine at the time because I was pregnant).
Rebecca said…
Megan - I love reading your blg. I don't know how you do it. It is hard being a single working mother - but I don't think I could handle being a stay-at-home mom with four kids! See - we all have our work set out for us! It is a good thing we are all unique! When do the twins turn 4? I think they are almost the exact same age as Max (June 15). Max still wears pull-ups during his nap - and at night. Mainly because I hate dealing with cleaning up the mess... OK - onward - ever onward... :)
Joanie said…
Megan...Yes, I think they are phasing out of naps and just need quiet time. Look at it this way...they may all have an earlier bedtime now. (Maybe Elizabeth will stay up an extra half hour????She is older. But the boys will be so ready for bed earlier if they do not have naps.) It is all so tricky...and then..how do you separate them at quiet time???Good luck! Love, Mom
Hilary said…
none of my kids have napped regularly past the age of 3. maybe they've just grown out of them???
hilary