My talk, part II

On September 23rd of last year Josh and I spoke in Church on the subject of personal spritual learning and growth. As I was going through my files yesterday, cleaning and purging, I found this talk and realized that I have learned more about this topic. So, I have decided to write a second part to my talk, entitling it "Spiritual Learning and Growth, Part II" (a creative title, I know) and since I can't access my word documents for some reason, I am putting in on my blog. You never know what you get when you read my blog!

Good morning, brothers and sisters. I spoke to you three months ago on the subect of learning, spiritual learning and would like now to expand upon the principles I mentioned. I spoke of the importance of studying the scriptures and of applying lessons learned at Church in our own lives, giving the example of telling my kids I love them several times a day and then experiences a change in our daily lives. Now I would like to speak on the importance of temple worship and of setting goals.

I have usually visited the temple at least monthly since I returned home from my mission to Spain 7 years ago. My visits to the temple have been enjoyable, uplifting and informative. Since we have moved to the D.C. area and I have found myself very far from my immediate family, I have increased my temple attendance to two or three times a month. It has now become my second home. I know where I like to park. I know where the bathrooms are and which one is my favorite. I know when it is busy and when it is not so busy. I know when it opens and when it closes. I have missed it this past week, when the temple has been closed for Winter cleaning and am trying to imitate their schedule by cleaning my home also.
The temple is the house of the Lord. It is there that we can feel the closest to Him. It is there that we remember the covenants we have made with Him and strive to "be good, do good and be better" (Elder Bednar, General Conference, Oct 2007). I love going there. I love feeling the peace that is available to us there. Through temple attendance we can increase our spiritual learning and growth. We do this as we feel the Spirit and listen to it's promptings of what we should change in our life, or it's whisperings of new truth never known before. Upon returning from the temple, we feel renewed, uplifted and stronger disciples of Christ.

Making goals, goals in spiritual learning, causes us to grow. Ever since I returned home from my mission, okay-before my mission also- I have become an avid goal setter. Josh and I do weekly planning sessions where we go over the week this is coming up. In these planning sessions, we review our budget, our schedule, each of our needs and our semester goals. I also do my own personal plannings session, where I plan activities to do with our four children and I set weekly, monthly, yearly and five year goals. Lately I have through my five year goals out the window and am focusing on just getting all of our kids into kindergarten for now.
My spiritual goals have included increased personal prayer, a daily gratitude journal, a meditation time throughout the day (which I have a hard time doing) and more recently- recording my thoughts while I study the Book of Mormon. As I have set these goals and have worked to accomplish them, my faith has increased, my knowledge has grown and I have felt more peace in my life.
I know the gospel is true. It has been restored to the earth by modern day Prophets for us in these latter days. I am grateful for my Heavenly Father and His love for me. I am grateful for my husband and my children. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments