Reader/Writer Friday

This is where I post some of my writing and you read it, edit it, comment on it, etc.

Chapter One (of what I have no idea, it just sounded like a good place to start.): The Twins

Things started out relatively normal in our married life. We met, were engaged and married within 6 months. We had our first baby 13 months later. Then came the twins. Nothing was the same again.
Upon finding out that we were expecting twins I was elated. Twins! I had always wanted twins! Until I realized they might not be girls! They just might not be fraternal like my twin sister and I.
I frantically asked the technician at our first ultrasound at 20 weeks. 'What are they?" It's a funny question, I know! But, I needed to know. She said "This one is a boy." Oh. I thought. O.K. There's still a chance one of them is a girl! "What's the other one?" I hurriedly asked. "Well, we have to see how this one is doing first."
Heart, legs, ears: they were all there and doing fine. Good! I was happy! But I really wanted to know what the other one was. "This one is a boy also." spoke the lady with some kind of scrubs on that I don't really remember. Two boys! I thought! Wow! When I had taught 3 rd grade the only kids that had given me trouble were the boys. I was not sure that I wanted twin boys. "Are they identical?" I asked, searching for a little reassurance that maybe they would be fraternal, just like me. I could handle fraternal. I know fraternal. I don't know identical. "We don't know." The technician replied. "The placenta is either 2 placentas that are fused, or one placenta this is almost separated." It was this ambiguous placenta that causes problems later.

Chapter 2: The twins are born way too early/ The Preemie Years

That's all I have so far. What do you guys think? Now I need to get off this computer and get ready for my date with Josh to see Enchanted. On a Friday afternoon, with a coupon for one free hour of babysitting! Hooray!

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Fox and Amy said…
My old VT just found out that she's having twin boys--she is very very nervous!
Sarah said…
Looks good, I like it! I like your Christmas pictures very cute!
Rachel said…
I was always confused on this. do identical twins share a placenta, while fraternal each have thier own? (rachel661@earhtlink.net)
Jen said…
Do you actually want comments on the writing itself? I always find that very scary and something I avoid in a piece's formative stages. Apparently other people feel the same way--you should see how nervous most students are to come see a writing tutor.