Our Love Story, Part I: Before we met

I was 23 years old. I had just gotten back from a 18 month mission in Spain for my Church that allowed no dating whatsoever and I was ready to date! I got back on July 28, 2000 and went back to BYU as soon as possible- two weeks later. One of my zone leaders was being a Y group leader and had encouraged me to do it also. I agreed- hoping that there would be a connection between us! Being a Y group leader was fun, but there was no connection between me and the guy.

School started for all the regular students and I was on the look out for anyone handsome, righteous and meeting all the item on my "list". The first guy I noticed was Ash- he was engaged! Second was Kevin- he has asked me out earlier (while I was interested in Ash) and I said no. Now, he wouldn't give me a second chance. Mark came and went. Mike was someone I admired from afar but never talked to. Another Mike, also no go. And another Mike- still nope. Dan came along and we started to date. We went to Preference, swimming, out and about. I was excited about finally dating someone! I found out some things about him and broke it off. He kept coming back and we would be on again, off again.

Christmas 2000 came and went. Dan had promised to come visit me at my house in Victorville- he lived three hours away. He called and canceled. I knew it wouldn't work. Back to school. A new semester and I started checking out the new people right away. No one looked good. Everyone had something wrong with them. I had even seen Josh and proclaimed him slightly nerdy.

So it was that the end of January found me with no prospects and three months away from graduating from the "Y"- without being married! I was depressed. I went to the temple, as I still do when I am depressed now. I got a firm, solid answer to my question- "Will I ever get married?" you know- I was 23 for goodness sakes! The answer was "Have faith." So I did.

Comments

Tammy said…
So who was the zone leader you were after?!
Anonymous said…
Elder Ryan Dickman? Remember him?
Don't tell anyone though!