Package in the mail


I was thinking of switching to typepad, and even started a new blog there (see: http://www.pinkpanda.typepad.com/), but it looks like it will be too much work to learn a new webface (is that what you call it? I just had a brain freeze!), so now I am just typing my blogs in the largest font possible so that my grandparents can read this blog (Hi, Grandma Betty, Grandpapa and Grandmama Hulihan and Grandma and Grandpa Cera- no these names are not typed in any particular order of who I love the best- I love you ALL the best!).


Saturday a package arrived in the mail. It was a surprise package from my Mom and I opened it to find four large plastic bags full of all the letters I ever received in my freshman and sophomore years of BYU. I was amazed! I thought I had gone through all my boxes at home, but I must have missed one- or several small shoeboxes). I went through one bag right away- in order to deal with any clutter that comes to my home efficiently). I made a pile of trash and to keep. I had decided to throw most of the letter away and just keep a few as tokens of my time at BYU. So, that's what I did.


Later, while I was in the kitchen, I had the prompting to go into the trash and retrieve the letters I had put there. I did and began to read them. I found one from my Grandma Cera, telling me about what her life was like when she was 20- the age I was when I received the letter. It told about her engagement to Grandpa (it was 7 months long) and about World War 2. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father that that letter did not go in the trash that day. I am now planning to put each and every letter I got, or will receive in a plastic sheet and in a binder labeled " Grandma Betty's cards and letters."

Feel free to write away. I hope to have so many binders and letters that my children will love to read them in our spare room on rainy days.


This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Sarah said…
Looks fun. I think I'll stick with what I've got I like it. Thanks for all the info on the codependency. If it wasn't for your info I wouldn't have known or done anything about it.
Sarah said…
Megan, I don't know if this will help, but I read a hint from heloise about increasing the font size. If you're reading any web page alll you have to do is hold down the ctrl key while you spin the wheel on your mouse. If you use a mac then ou hold down the mac key. It totally worked when we tried it. Also, for your letters, I have a bunch that I keep in archival boxes (from the scrapbooking store). I read somewhere that the plastic can speed up the decomposition of the paper!
Joanie said…
Megan! I was going to call you today to see if you got the box. I considered all those letters archival material. I am so glad you went back and got the letter from my mom. I would love to read it someday. How precious. I don't know if I know about her engagement...so thank you for saving that. It seems to me it does not take up that much room to save these precious mementoes. The box I sent could be slipped onto a closet shelf or alongside some boxes on the floor. They are preserved "moments in time".Love, Mom
Joanie said…
Hi Meg..how nice to make a big font..even though none of your grandparents ever go on the computer...but who knows about the future....
I think if they had an opportunity, they would really enjoy this new technology. My dad got to use Annette's computer once and got to see hi old Navy ship with the big hole in it from the kamakaze plane that hit it. ~~~Mom